Dark circles under the eyes | Causes & Treatment
Dark circles under the eyes called medically Periorbital dark circles.
Circles under the eyes causes
There may be explanations for dark circles under the eyes besides underlying illness. Examples include
- a history of dark circles in the family,
- insufficient sleep,
- rubbing your eyes,
- or too much sun exposure.
What is dark eye circles means?
Actually dark circles under eyes are usually caused by being tired. Sometimes, what appear to be dark circles under your eyes may merely be
- shadows cast by puffy eyelids
- or hollows under your eyes that develop as a normal part of aging.
Dark circles under the eyes usually aren't a medical problem.
What deficiencies may cause dark circles under eyes?
Vitamin deficiencies that have been associated with dark circles. including
- vitamin B12,
- vitamin E,
- vitamin K,
- and vitamin D,
Can dark circles be a serious problem?
Dark circles under the eyes usually are not a medical problem. If discoloration and swelling appear under just one eye and seem to get worse over time, talk to your primary care doctor. If you want a more lasting solution than concealers and over-the-counter creams can provide, see a dermatologist for advice.
Self treatment for circles under the eyes
- Applying icy compresses under the eyes,
- elevating the head during sleep,
- and getting adequate sleep may help prevent dark circles.
- Using concealers,
- over-the-counter creams may also help,
- Seeking medical care.